Burned in a Car Accident
No one expects to be involved in a car accident when they’re on the road however, car accidents happen daily. If you’re lucky, you’ll walk away with minimal injuries but in some instances, those involved in car accidents suffer burn injuries. Burn injuries can be the result of a fire, hot metal, or steam and are sometimes fatal. There are different degrees of burns a person can sustain from a car accident and they range in severity.
Degrees of Burn Injuries
● First-degree burns - These burns are the least severe and only affect the top layer of skin. The burn site may be red and sensitive and can typically be treated with basic first aid.
● Second-degree burns - A second-degree burn impacts the first and second layers of skin. The skin may be red and blistering. You will likely need to seek medical attention.
● Third-degree burns - This type of burn is severe and affects the first three layers of skin and can cause nerve damage. Third-degree burns result in scarring and medical treatment is required.
Seeking the appropriate treatment following a car accident in which you’ve suffered a burn injury is crucial. When it comes to being treated for a burn injury, medical professionals will gauge the severity of your injury so that they can properly treat you.
Treatment for Burn Injuries
● Pain medication
● Wound dressing
● Skin graft surgeries
● Amputation surgeries
● Plastic surgery
● Fluids to prevent dehydration
● Burn creams and ointments
Burns from a car accident need to be treated carefully in order to give the victim a full chance at recovering.
Depending on the cause of the burn injury, you may be able to receive compensation. Compensation can include medical expenses, loss of income, and pain and suffering. Experiencing a car accident is terrifying and suffering injuries adds to the overwhelming emotions. In most cases, burn victims have a long road to recovery. The injuries can be life-changing and possibly prevent the victim from working. Working with an experienced attorney can provide you peace of mind. They’ll assist in investigating who was at fault for your injuries so they can be held accountable.
If you suffered a serious burn injury from a car accident, contact the Law Office of Georgia Anderson for a free consultation.